As you can see… this weekend turned into a crazy burst of Darkhawk action! I’ve been meaning to kick start a couple other ideas for weeks (months) and after getting the Smurf Darkhawk done I was amped up for the next set. I’ve been roaming toy store idles looking for potential candidates for two months.
The natural tendency has been to target Iron Man toys. There are tons and tons, and with the 2nd movie coming out, rest assured there’ll be more!
- The medium-sized top-left Iron Man was a small “stealth mode” toy. He was the first toy I bought to try to Darkhawkify.
- That small one bottom-center was actually an Iron Man keychain. He’s coming along awesome! I’ll be removing the flames and setting up some sort of base for it.
- The one center-right was a basic Iron Man with a bunch of arsenal clip ons. Some people have used it as a base for War Machine which works beautifully.
- I finally picked up an Animated Spider-Man toy that was “Spider Charged”–whatever that means–he was a black suit Spidey with these anime-like “wings”. I figured I could make some sort of amalgam of Darkhawk 2.0 and anime/animated style. We’ll see.
- Finally, there’s the bottom-left–a Bart Simpson toy I found in a box while moving. He’s one of the 80s plastic toys, so it’s heavier and more solid than the ones today. The battle will be to keep checking the clay as it hardens, fill in the cracks, and keep building as layers harden. I had to work out a system for the legs to be able to hold the extra weight so decided to connect them at the back as well as fill in the space between Bart’s shorts and shoes so that I could make proper armor legs and boots. This one will be a classic Darkhawk for sure!
That’s the update. Good times all around. Many lessons learned as I go, but it’s all important stuff that can be used later on future Darkhawk projects. If anyone out there has Darkhawk customization projects on the go, contact me and take some pics and share with the fanbase!